Shadow of Danger

Image rights to Bakko Brats

Image rights to Bakko Brats

1118200922512259

Wall of clouds blocked this view of the prairie,
like loads that burden my troubled shoulders.
The air was charged with thoughts of misery,
this challenge stood like an impending disaster.

Thunderous mad roars in the sky above,
were mere signals of the coming twister.
A dark funnel of air hungrily engulfed,
my desperation to be elsewhere.

This increasing rhythmic beat pounded on my chest,
an assault of adrenaline from the sight I laid upon.
A tornado suddenly anchored itself on the ground,
ravaging the roots of houses and cars of men.

I ran out of view from this heavenly onslaught,
as my crew radioed in – secured and unbroken.
In a vehicle of storm chasers, this vortex distraught,
but with a prayer stored prism, dispositions brightened.

Visit my site

24 replies to “Shadow of Danger”

1. Jhong Medina replied:

Please don’t tell me there’s a storm coming. Why did you create this poem? Do you sense something? or still in shock with Ondoy tragedy?

2. jan geronimo replied:

@Jhong: Must be Doc Z’s senses must be so acute he can sense a storm brewing. In a sense, true poets are. Much like prophets. Shamans. In the vernacular – well, I forgot. LOL. Basta, if it’s not a physical storm it’s a turmoil inside which is just as lethal.

Shall we run for cover, dear Doc Z? Jhong, hold onto your bandanna. Ahehehe

3. Anne replied:

Could you imagine watching a funnel cloud form right before your eyes. This is what keeps me out of the midwest, yet they can occur anywhere. One hit in S. Florida when I was at a water park with my kids, it was a bit eerie, but it hit a few miles away. I’ll take a hurricane any day.

4. Jena Isle replied:

Aptly described, it got me worried…lol…I can imagine this scene in your novel., Way to go!

5. Jena Isle replied:

Jan, di ba “makata?” he he he…

6. chrisBON replied:

Nice poem doc z :D

7. Deeptesh replied:

Hey…great imageries of storm here….really scary.n I posted a new poem.Pls chk

8. Heather Kephart replied:

Holy snap, Doc! You really are talented! You always end your poems off with a bang, a line or phrase that really grabs me. Are you published? And if not, why not? You’re so much better than a lot of the pretentious tripe I read where the imagery is gratuitous, sounds good but means nothing.

9. jan geronimo replied:

The doctor is still out. Windows are still boarded up. What to do! Ah well, sa magtatawas na lang muna ako pupunta. Darn NaNoWriMo. Ahehehe

10. Sire replied:

I would love to than you for commenting on my blog because as much as I appreciate all comments, if you hadn’t taken the time to leave a comment I would not have found your blog. The power of a good comment is truly amazing.

As to the poem I really enjoyed it. At times it seemed as if you and the storm were one, but then with the help of your crew you threw off the shackles and was freed.

11. ConnieFoggles replied:

First time reader. Not many good poets around especially bloggers. Thoroughly enjoyed your descriptive voice.

12. elmot replied:

How are you doing bro? A storm is actually brewing over the horizon, dark heavy clouds accumulating not far away.

13. Holly Jahangiri replied:

I lived in Tornado Alley for years. I’ve stood under cloud rotation twice and heard a tornado pass over my house a few years ago, but I have yet to SEE one. My first reaction to this was, “Someone’s been watching Twister!” ;) Great movie. Part of me would love to see a tornado; part of me would pee my pants.

14. Zorlone replied: (post author)

This poem was inspired by an episode I saw on discovery channel. I thought I should write one about their experience and the emotions they had while documenting the event.

Hey, thanks for dropping by on my site too.

Z

15. Zorlone replied: (post author)

Jhong,

That is partly true, but the storm is a metaphor in this poem.

Z

16. Zorlone replied: (post author)

Jan,

My bandana was blown away long time ago and this described a new storm. he he he

Z

17. Zorlone replied: (post author)

Anne,

I haven’t seen one in person, of course there aren’t too many tornadoes here in my country, but from what I saw on TV, well, it is something to worry about.

Z

18. Zorlone replied: (post author)

Jena,

I just found time to reply and I actually missed the chance to add this scene in my novel, BUT, I could always edit.

Z

19. Zorlone replied: (post author)

Chris,

Thanks bro!

Z

20. Zorlone replied: (post author)

Heather,

It is my dream to have my poems published. My own book one day. Well, I’ll keep writing ’til that day comes.

Thanks!

Z

21. Zorlone replied: (post author)

Jan,

Nanowrimo has been conquered and I am a winner with 50k plus words, of course you know that by the time you read my reply this comment. he he he.

Thank you for understanding an absentee blogger.

Z

22. Zorlone replied: (post author)

Thanks Connie,

Your avatar is so cool!

I do my best in trying to keep up with my poetry and in learning the style. There is still a lot of room for improvement.

Z

23. Zorlone replied: (post author)

Elmot,

I know what you mean and the storm has yet to land, maybe soon, but hopefully my preparations were good enough and my castle – fortified when it comes. LOL

Z

BTW, what were we talking about? – just kidding

24. Zorlone replied: (post author)

Holly,

Twister and Discovery channel “Storm Chasers” darn TV shows always capture my attention and my passion for writing. he he he.

Oh, I don’t need to see a tornado to be actually afraid of them.

Z

Add a reply

No spam please.

Trackbacks and Pingbacks

1. Tweets that mention Shadow of Danger | Zorlone - Filipino Poet and Writer -- Topsy.com